Safety Precaution In Construction Site
If you are in construction job, no one other than you knows how dangerous a place it is. Heights, large and movable equipment, edges, deep holes, and swaying stairs are and always has been a threat to construction site workers. Besides the employers taking measure to ensure safety and security of the workers, the workers themselves need to take precautions while working in such hazardous conditions.
The first and most effecting way to avoid danger is being cautious. You must maintain the follow to avoid any potential danger in your workplace –
You should know you work place well and carefully follow the safety procedures provided by your employer.
Choose the right wardrobe
– Apparel: Wear highly visible clothing (i.e., shirts with sleeves, and long pants) while working around heavy vehicles. You must keep in mind the temperature you are working in. Wear hard hats where there is a potential for objects falling from above, bumps to your heads from fixed objects, or accidental head contact with electrical hazards.
– Footwear: Put on tough work boots. Those are best to protect your feet from falling objects or stepping on sharp objects.
– Safety equipment: Collect the necessary protective gear for your work that includes safety glasses, masks, earplugs, gloves and fall harnesses etc.
– Do not drink or take drugs while working
Safety Measures during Work
Stay safe while getting on and off a vehicle and wear your seatbelts
Use proper techniques for lifting heavy objects
Check any electrical equipment before use and flow the safety precautions instructed there
Avoid dragging electric cables on the ground or allowing the cables to come into contact with water
Make sure the ladders and stairways are not slippery and Check your gloves and boots for dirt, mud or any other slippery substance before using a ladder or stairway
- Never enter an unprotected trench and always use a protective system for trenches feet deep or greater
- Avoid going to any area with insufficient lighting as there may be some dangerous places which have not been provided with fencing
- Keep vigilant all the time and watch out for moving cranes, hooks or other lifting equipment
- Report to your supervisor immediately if you notice any unsafe condition
- Use and handle chemicals with care.
Dealing with Emergencies and Accidents/Injuries
Always keep the emergency telephone numbers in your construction site.
When you are faced with an emergency situation, keep in mind the following issues:
- The dangerous situation the alarm refers to
- The escape route
- The designated safe place in your site
When someone is found seriously injured, you should:
- Keep calm and Seek help immediately.
- Be with the injured person (Do not try to move him/her unless it is really necessary to do so)
- Call the site safety staff
- Help in the immediate rescue operation as much as you can
- Do not meddle with the accident scene and wait for the investigation team to arrive
If a fire incident takes place, keep in mind the following things:
- Try to douse the fire with a fire extinguisher if the fire is a small one
- If the fire is an uncontrollable one, immediately inform the Fire Services Department